The Classroom Gardener: A School-yard Garden Project!
Victory Gardens and Room to Play are thrilled to offer a brand new comprehensive school garden program! Our 14 month program, running from September 2015 – November 2016, engages students and teachers in hands on, inquiry based cross-curricular learning. With professional development sessions, school assemblies and hands-on workshops and season-long garden maintenance, we ensure stress free learning and growing all year round.
Who can participate?
We can provide programming for students from preschool to grade 7 in both public and private learning spaces. From existing gardens to vacant plots, we are here to make your learning experience complete. We offer professional development for teachers by teachers and professional gardening services by experienced, master gardeners.
Why garden with kids at school?
Kids get their hands dirty when they learn to garden with us! We encourage total ownership of the garden with hands on lessons in weed management, seed starting and raised bed planting. We can provide lesson plans, workshops and follow up activities for you to use with your classes that teach to the big ideas and learning standards of the new B.C. draft curriculum. Our pilot program runs September 2015- November 2016. Book quickly to reserve your preferred dates!
What if I’m not a gardener?
No problem! We support teachers with all levels of garden experience. We can show you ways to broaden your existing garden program, or give you the confidence and skills to get started! We can work with garden spaces that are still in the planning stages or spaces that have been neglected over time. Our multimedia presentations and hands on workshops will leave you feeling motivated and confident in your role as you learn along side your students!
What will it cost?
This program is best suited for multi-class participation, or a starting budget of $5000. If this exceeds your budget capacity, please call us to discuss pricing options, per student pricing and grant suggestions.
Packages are all inclusive:
- Two half days of professional development for teachers, by teachers
- Place based, hands on workshops with students & green team support
- Follow up lesson plans and video content for classroom use
- Two assemblies for all garden participants, with site specific media presentations
- Site visit and garden preparation
- Crop mapping and succession planning
- Discounted pricing on all required organic seeds, veggie starts & fertilizer
- Discounted pricing on required children’s gardening gloves, tools and garden supplies
- Bi-weekly and summer follow up maintenance for the 14 month program duration
- Harvesting assistance and instructions
Optional add ons:
- Infrastructure and raised garden beds
- Weekly maintenance and classroom support options
- Liaison with district personnel to arrange soil delivery etc.
- Out of City of Vancouver travel time
- Garden spaces that exceed 100 square feet
We’d love to discuss your school’s garden dreams! Contact us at 778 926 9364 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
The Classroom Gardener has received generous sponsorship from Westcoast Seeds! Thank you so much for believing in the work we do!